"To promote the study of medicine and surgery among practitioners by the communication of clinical and therapeutic facts and by the exhibition of pathological specimens and by discussion." (1872 Constitution)
On 29th November 1872 a meeting of most of the principal members of the medical profession in Leeds was held. It was called by Dr. Charles Chadwick who was physician to the Infirmary and lecturer in the principles and practice of medicine at the Leeds School of Medicine. It was decided that a society should be formed to be called the Leeds and West Riding Medico-Chirurgical Society whose object was to promote the study of medicine and surgery among practitioners by the communication of clinical and therapeutic facts and by the exhibition of pathological specimens and by discussion. In December 1872 the society was given permission to hold its meetings in the upper boardroom. The Society flourished and continued to hold its meetings in the same place, now known as the Littlewood Hall in the General Infirmary, until 2016, when meetings were moved to University House. The Society played an important part in the continual education of practitioners in the area; advances in medicine were discussed and new techniques in surgery were demonstrated to members at its meetings.
Home | Programme | Join us | History | Students | Links | Contact us
For problems or questions regarding this website, please email the
[Last updated: 1-10-2015]